Sunday, June 23, 2019

First full day in Tokyo - exploring!

Syl’s cousins weren’t due to arrive until tonight, so she was stuck in our exclusive company all day today! We started off with a family run around the grounds of the Imperial Palace. What’s jet lag??!









We didn’t end up actually seeing the Palace itself - maybe another day. But the run was a nice start to the day.





After some breakfast in the tea room of our hotel (rice balls and miso soup!) we headed out for some exploring... including our first, successful use of the Tokyo Metro!





Lunch was—what else?—sushi, prepared by a delightful man who dubbed Syl, “Princess” and marveled at her intake of salmon roe.



After that we left the hotel and found our new home for the next week, an Air BnB in a hip neighborhood that has been likened to Brooklyn.





“Now THIS is the Japan I had in my head,” said Syl when she and I left Melissa to her afternoon siesta and headed out for some exploring!



Do you think we went in?







The photo booths in Japan are... interesting.



During out explorations, Syl and I chanced on a restaurant that looked intriguing - a tiny, ground level door that you have to stoop low to get through. We collected Melissa and went back—great call!



What goes better with beer than... snails??!! 



And Syl, who hadn’t had roe since lunch, had a heaping bowl of the little buggers. I had pasta (though, for the record, I ate eel at lunch!





We are looking forward to connecting with the cousins tomorrow, after they get some shut-eye! So far, we all agree that Japan is AWESOME!

No comments: