Saturday, March 22, 2008

Beware


Hi folks.
Apparently someone has found Sylvie's Place interesting enough to merit a hack. Today for the second time in a couple of months, we found a post that looks like it was put up by me (Dan) that in fact was not. Some of you may have seen it. As with the last time, all the post consisted of was a generic title - in this case, "Hi," and a link to a web site. I didn't click on the site for fear that it was a vehicle for a virus. I hope none of you did either.
Safe rule of thumb: if there isn't a photo or video, or any text that you know came from me, don't ever click on a random link from this blog. I think the hacks are probably an automated thing rather than someone specifically targeting this blog. But at any rate, if it keeps happening or happens with more frequency I'll have to think about password protecting this site or something. I hope it does not come to that!
Sorry to anyone who may have fallen for the fake posting and clicked on the link. I hope it wasn't anything offensive.

3 comments:

Rob said...

Odd .. you're not in Blogger search or Google, right? So how would anybody even find sylvie's place if they weren't invited? but i guess those hackers know some things we don't!

Dan said...

I don't know. It's very odd and troubling. It seems very much like a spam email though, so I'm hoping it's just random.

Dan said...

Figured it out (I think). I have posting-by-email enabled so that I can post from my Blackberry, and apparently the address I established to do so is too easy to figure out. I've changed it to something more amorphous, so hopefully that takes care of the problem.