"Doodles" has never really been a fair term for Syl's output--except as it relates to how fast she churns out this stuff! Here are a few of her works from the past month.
The first two are good encapsulations of just what a bummer of a month December 2020 has been. First, Grampy in the hospital for heart issues, followed just over a week later by Grammy, after a nasty spill! Luckily, both are on the mend.
Here are a couple of process photos. Often, Syl finds something someone else has drawn online, usually on Pinterest, and draws it "in her own style."
I'm kind of fascinated by how she has self-taught herself, using mostly YouTube videos, to draw the human form. She frequently starts with a photo of herself in the pose she wants, and then creates something like a wireframe to get the proportions and positioning right. Pretty cool.
OK, now to Christmas. This was easily my favorite gift. Syl procured a pair of white Vans sneakers for me and customized them with a special paint job, using fabric paints. She knows I love birch trees and a good sunset. I don't know if I'll dare wear these anywhere!
For Melissa, Syl painted this beautiful beach scene as part of a joint present for our wife/mom: the promise of some relaxation on a faraway beach in the near future.
Melissa commissioned some small Holiday themed art to put around the house next year. How cute are these?
Syl asked for "tan paper" for Christmas because, as she said, "it really makes the pencils pop." Her first outputs certainly bear that out! What else?: eyes.
This last one kind of blew me away. When I asked how she picked this face to draw, Syl said it is "just a face that interested me."
No comments:
Post a Comment