To understand the magnitude of this weekend's event, you have to understand: I rarely say no to my little girl. But when it comes to water parks I am just generally skeeved out by the human soup component (fact: a "swim diaper" is not something that should exist, ever). At an outdoor water park I can convince myself that the cleansing power of the sun keeps the bacteria in check. But when it comes to indoor facilities...? Yeeesh. So for several years now, any time Syl has asked us to take her to Great Wolf Lodge, I have given a flat, "no."
The she got sick on the day of her 11th birthday sleepover last weekend, which was already to be a much-scaled-back celebration compared to past years. And she was so good and understanding about it, that I wanted to do something truly special to make it up to her. And so:
Megumi came with us, and though the place is barely 40 minutes from our house, we went all-in and spent the night.
First, a concession: the place is very clean. I was amazed. Cleaner by far than Water Country, with its cleansing sun and so-forth. They must pump enough chlorine through the place daily to take out a city, were it somehow made gaseous. But in any event: kudos, GWL.
Second thing: there is a lot more to do there than just the water park. There is a ropes course...
Tons of games, including Syl's favorite squirt gun race...
And yes, the water park - including a massive wave pool.
Melissa and I managed to stay dry the first day.
My favorite part of the weekend came when I left Melissa alone to watch our seats while the kids were in the pool. On a whim, I turned suddenly back and whipped out my camera. Sure enough, there she was, stealing the kids' jelly beans!
Dinner was pretty okay, all things considered. The wait staff sang to Syl.
Another thing about GWL: it is like kid Vegas. So loud, so bright, so much stimulation.
The next morning started with a very tired, kind of sick (with a cold) birthday girl opening her present.
Then, Melissa and I got wet. Briefly.
Finally, around 1, the girls cashed in their tickets for some prizes, and we headed out.
Syl requested "a diner" for lunch, so the Google brought us to this place in Fitchburg.
It was really good! The girls got their own table, and Syl had what she declared was the best grilled cheese she's had since Noon Hill Grille (which is high culinary praise from Syl).
On the way home, the girls declared it the best weekend in a long time... "maybe ever." Worth some bacteria bathing, I suppose...































No comments:
Post a Comment