Tuesday, May 28, 2013

If at first you don't succeed, ride ride again

On my 47 mile ride yesterday
First, thanks so much for all the calls, emails, and notes of support--Melissa and I really appreciate it! My surgery is tomorrow (Weds) at 12:30. If all goes to plan I'll be done inside of an hour, and home by evening. Our wonderful friends have deluged us with offers to help with Sylvie, Sophie, food, and everything imaginable in between, so we're well taken care of.  One of the surprisingly many silver linings to going through something like this is it does tend to highlight all of the wonderful things about the many kind and generous people we're blessed to have in our lives.

I know it seems silly to say, but one of the most short-term frustrating things about this latest bout is that it means I'll be unable to do the Trek Across Maine next month (I asked the doc!). By happenstance or something else, if I work hard to get back in the saddle I ought to be ready just in time for the Pan Mass Challenge, a 2 day, 180 mile ride from Sturbridge to the Cape. And every cent raised goes to Dana Farber for cancer research and treatment. The fundraising requirement is serious - literally ten times what was required for the Trek. But (those silver linings again) my friends have already been incredible - I've raised $3,000 of the required $5,000 just since Saturday, and just on Facebook!

The ride link is here for anyone inclined to contribute. One of the awesome things about the Pan Mass is that literally every cent raised goes to Dana Farber, so you can feel confident that it really is going to a good cause.

Melissa will email tomorrow, and probably post here, when I'm out of surgery and in the clear. Almost done with this, hopefully this time for good!


No comments: