Friday, October 21, 2011

Sylvie's new fascination

I cannot say for sure it was last year's Christmas card that kicked this off.  If it was, then the reaction was delayed for almost a year. 

All of a sudden, Sylvie is obsessed with Star Wars - despite never having seen the movie, any of the cartoons, or really anything beyond that card, my Star Wars Burger King glass collection, and a sticker book she picked out at Coffee Haven (which might actually have been the trigger).

She's taken to pulling out my DVDs and studying the covers, front and back.  Then come the questions. 

"Dad, is Darth Vader the bad guy?"
"What does he do that's bad?"
"Who else are the bad guys?" 
"What do they look like?"
"What do they do to the good guys that's bad?"
"Who are the good guys in Star Wars?"
"What do they look like?"
"What do they do to the bad guys?"

I answer all of her questions as best I can, but they just prompt more questions.  Invariably I suggest the obvious. "Do you want to watch the movie with Dad?"  And just as invariably the answer is an emphatic - even panicked - "NO!!"  Why not?  "That 'cuz, I think Darth Vader might be scary." 

Last night during her bath, in the midst of a series of questions (she was fascinated to learn there are princesses in Star Wars, but still answers "NO!" to the offer of a viewing), I had an epiphany.  "Would you like me to order you a Star Wars story book that I can read to you?" 

She is very excited.  I found one, used, on Amazon.  It may even be the same on I had as a kid.  Should be here next week.

No comments: