Sunday, March 27, 2011

Maybe next year

We got up this morning and asked Sylvie if she wanted to try ski school again.  Her answer was fairly unequivocal.  "No."

So we are going to give skiing another try next year...

I have a lot of good photos from the weekend, and a little bit of video.  For tonight, though, here's the tale of Sylvie's first - and only - ski "run."  I got all of these from a safe and anonymous distance, with the telephoto lens.

When Chris and I first snuck up on the ski schoolers, it took a while for me to find Sylvie.  That was because I was looking at the kids on the ground... and Sylvie was in an instructor's arms, wailing.


It wasn't long before they were headed indoors.  I figured that was that, but Melissa convinced me not to go inside to check on her.


To my amazement, within three minutes she was clomping back out, a resolute look on her face, accompanied by a  young man who is now my hero.


He walked her to the "magic carpet" (the moving belt that serves as a lift up the bunny slope) and sent her on her way.



At the top, Syl still looked pretty disconsolate.  She promptly plopped down and started munching snow.



But then the instructor rejoined her, and got her interested in her skis - and then into her skis (no easy process)...




Properly equipped, she seemed ready to give it a try.


And away she went, holding the hands of the same instructor (who by then had spent a good 15 minutes attending to Sylvie individually).


All things considered, not so bad - and now she can say she has "skied."  


Unsurprisingly, Sylvie has already revised her skiing history.  When Melissa asked her to name her favorite part of the weekend, she didn't hesitate: "Skiing!!"  

So next year...

No comments: