Melissa got Sylvie a series of Disney story books recently. Her favorite is The Jungle Book, by about a three to one margin (measured in nights its reading is demanded before bed time).
Like a great number of Disney stories, the Jungle Book contains some scary material - most specifically the part when Kaa the python slithers out of the leaves and hypnotizes Mogli, intending to "swallow him up."
That never seemed to much bother Sylvie - until 3:38 a.m. this morning, when she started screaming at the top of her lungs. "No!! You can't come in here!! Get away!!"
By the time I got up to her room she was on the edge of her bed. As I turned on the light, she looked behind her and very clearly still "saw" a vestige of her nightmare. "DADDY!! There's a SNAKE IN MY BED!!!" (and so now I'll have nightmares derived from Sylvie's nightmare).
I picked her up and she was like a little kettle stove - bearing out our suspicion, based on her cranky mood the last few days, that she is getting sick (again - love winter). She was shaking and gasping and yelling for her "mama." When I got her down to our room, though, she took one look at Melissa and screamed again - "Mommy! There's a snake on her pillow!"
We turned on the light and that seemed to help snap her out of it. Seizing the advantage afforded by the fact that both Melissa and I were by then a little freaked out at the hallucinating, she expressed a desire to watch Angelina the Ballerina. Gotta love on-demand television.
She had a 102.6 temp - which with the help of some Ibuprofen was down to 100.9 by the time I left for work 45 minutes later. I have a feeling, though, that my girls are in for a long, tired day. I myself am going to be mainlining coffee to stay awake during a 4 hour meeting I have to make it through today.
Anyhow, while it was freaky at the time I suppose this is something of a milestone: Sylvie's first articulated nightmare, and one of obvious and understandable origin at that. I'd always figured her first night time bogeyman would be the "Bomable Snowman."

No comments:
Post a Comment